Thursday, February 11, 2010

Valentine's Day Menu

Everyone is gearing up for Valentine's Day! It's a sweet holiday (I use the term "holiday" lightly...and "sweet", not so lightly). We usually don't give gifts, but spend the day eating...our favorite thing :). I wish I had a great Valentine's Day photo from the past, but since I don't, I'll share a sweet little Strawberry Cheesecake shot from the restaurant CORE in Tucson that I took last week.

The hubby and I always stay in for Valentine's Day dinner and I try to make something fabulous for dinner - and inevitably go overboard with the number of courses. Dessert is always the most decadent part and I'm usually too full to really enjoy. So, this year I'm going light on dinner so we can enjoy dark chocolate fondue with Dandies vegan marshmallows, raspberries, bananas and tangelos. Yum!

For dinner we're having Eggplant Caviar (from The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein) and Brown Butter and Sage Linguine. I haven't tried the Eggplant Caviar yet, so if it's any good, I'll post the recipe. As for the Brown Butter and Sage Linguine - insanely good (and easy).

Brown Butter and Sage Linguine
1/2 lb linguine
1/2 cup butter
2 garlic cloves
1 cup torn fresh sage leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts
Freshly shaved Asiago
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook linguine according to package. Place butter, garlic, sage and pine nuts into a skillet and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. The butter should be a dark amber color, but don't burn it! :) Add cooked pasta to the skillet and gently toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and serve with freshly grated Asiago. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment