Thursday, October 29, 2009

Quiet night...

Well, a super busy week came to an end...all the family is gone - even my hubby is gone out of town. So, it's just me and the dogs and a seriously delicious dinner. I thought I would treat myself to a bit of a naughty dinner tonight...butternut squash pasta with brown butter. A couple weeks ago, hubby and I went to a little restaurant, La Medusa, and had a delicious dinner. I had a pumpkin pasta and just had to try and recreate it. Now, I'm no recipe writer, but I will do my best....

BUTTERNUT SQUASH PASTA AND BROWN BUTTER

Ingredients
1/2 butternut squash
1 shallot - diced
1 clove of garlic
small handful of sage leaves
dash of nutmeg
2/3 cup of ricotta
1/3 cup yogurt
Olive oil
salt and pepper
2 TBSP butter
pasta sheets
freshly grated parmesan

Directions
Preheat oven to 425
Peel the butternut squash and cut into small bite size pieces. Toss with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and roast for about 30 minutes.

While the butternut squash is roasting, saute the shallot and sage leaves for about 5 minutes, adding the garlic at the last minute or so. Cook your pasta according to the package. I used lasagna sheets, but I would have liked to use fresh pasta sheets. They are shorter and wider and just seem cooler. However, if you are less lazy than me, you could make ravioli too.

Stick the shallot mix and butternut squash in a food processor and add the ricotta, nutmeg and yogurt. Puree and add salt and pepper to taste.

Put the butter in a saute pan on medium to medium high for a few minutes until it starts bubbling and turns brown.

Place a couple pasta sheets in a bowl and add some of the squash mixture. Top with the brown butter and parmesan. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment