Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How do you label yourself?

It's We Scout Wednesday at Scoutie Girl and today's question is "What's your label?"

I have struggled with this questions for several years. And, not just because I don't know how to answer it, but I just don't like what's behind the question. When someone asks you "What do you do?" they mean for a living...but that's not always what defines us. When I was in the corporate world, it was even harder for me. I hated when people asked what I did. I was a marketer for a high tech company. Couldn't define me as a person any less - but that's the answer people are looking for. So, although I will still struggle with this question, at least the answer now is more "me"!

Am I an artist? A jewelry designer? Maybe I'm a metalsmith! I recently was "labeled" a metalsmith (something I've thought about, but never called myself) and I really didn't know what to think! I felt like I was tricking someone into thinking I had been schooled in the art of metalsmithing. So self deprecating! From today forward I will do my very best to start using labels that I aspire to...what's wrong with that?

What's your label? Do you struggle too?


No comments:

Post a Comment