Monday, July 27, 2009

New Tools = New Techniques

I LOVE tools.  I love researching new ones, getting new ones, and of course, practicing new techniques with them.  I just got a few extra toys, so, I finally am set up to do some basic soldering.  I fuse with fine silver all the time, which takes less steps and less heat, but there is so much more you can do with soldering.  I'm really excited!  

I also have my pickling solution all set up - which I have actually used.  For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about - a quick explanation...a picking solution is something you put your metal in after you've soldered or just applied a ton of heat to.  The metal gets awfully dirty and the pickling solution - which is acid based - cleans the metal off beautifully.  

Here are a pair of earrings made of fine silver and gold-filled wire.  The gold filled piece was actually a large oval jump ring that I just reshaped and hammered.  Then, I fused (still not confident enough to try soldering :)) a larger fine silver ring and hammered it.  At that point the gold was filthy from the heat of fusing the silver - like an uneven, dirty rusty color.  So, I dropped it in the pickle solution for just a minute (you have to be really careful with gold-filled material not to leave it in too long) and VOILA!  You can find them in my Etsy Shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment